“The wheels on our car go round and round” but yet we forget to keep them in shape. We tend to angst over the washing and polishing of our cars, but not so much the tyres, ironically, as they are the solid foundation to any form of automobile. They carry up to 5 times their weight in total, yet more often than not, get less attention from its owner. With proper maintenance, you could go further on your set of wheels, thus saving you costs in the long run on your repairs and replacements. For those of you who are guilty as charged, here are some answers to your questions on how to treat your wheels with care.
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO MAINTAIN MY TYRES?
- Pump up your tyres once a month according to the air pressure specification.
- Realign your wheels once in six months, or when you feel the handling of your car or steering wheel go off.
- Avoid portholes and slow down your speed on damaged roads. Going over too many rough patches on high speed can cause the alignment of your wheels to go off, not to mention damage your car suspension system.
- When replacing a damaged tyre, always make sure it matches the other three for perfect balancing.
- Check your tyre balancing every time you replace a wheel or purchase new tyres. A balanced tyre
- Wax tyres regularly after washing them, to reduce UV damage to tyres.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CLEAN MY TYRES?
You should clean your tires every time you wash your car – at least once a month.
WHAT PRODUCTS SHOULD I USE TO CLEAN MY TYRES?
Use a degreaser or an all-purpose cleaner purchased from a car store, and specific tyre wax or polish that comes with UV protection.
HOW DO I CLEAN MY TYRES
Follow these steps to achieve squeaky clean and buffed:
- Hose down tires with a power jet hose.
- Apply tire cleaning cream / spray as instructed on the product, and scrub the tires, making sure you reach into the metal plates to clean the brake pad area.
- Wash off all the residue of the cream / spray with regular soap and water (or as instructed by the product).
- Dry the tyres completely with a soft microfiber cloth.
- Apply tyre wax / dressing with the included applicator, and buff it around the tyres like you would a car.
- Stand back and admire your handiwork.